Development Education Project
One of the most important perceptions of our longstanding work is, that sustained changes of the global problems can be reached only, if also people from industrial nations are willing to scrutinize their way of life. Therefore we have been intensely involved in educational work concerning the “third” world’s development. We offer education according to the subject matter for all age groups. We are especially glad to help educationalists and teachers who are interested in topics such as development, ecology, refugees or indeptedness.
On the one hand, we offer teaching materials, books, games, videos, cassettes and action materials (for example “coconut box”, “cocoa box” and “spice box”) related to the subjects “Third world”, “North-South relations”, “Ecology” and “Violence in our society”. They are available in our library (Bornaische Str. 18, Leipzig). Teachers and students can have a look at the books which can also be borrowed.
On arrangement we offer consultation for teachers. We also organise continued vocational training about the following topics: “Third World” and the “North-South relations” in school teaching.
On the other hand, we can also design units for school teaching or special projects as well as leisure time activities for all age groups. Those projects could take place in the classroom, in our shop or in leisure centers. Additionally, we can illustrate the “Third World” in our shop by the help of products and of library materials.
Furthermore, interested students attending grades 9 to 11 can carry out a practical training at the World Shop.
We offer events for the following subject areas:
- “Third” World – for example:
- How do people live in the various countries of Latin America, Africa, or Asia?
- What is actually the so-called “third world”?
- African games
- “Indians” – in the past and present
- North-South relations – for example:
- World trade illustrated by coffee, tea, cocoa or bananas (the way from cultivation to consumption here)
- What have the lives of Latin Americans, Africans or Asian people to do with our life here? (connections in our one world)
- What does “development” and “foreign aid” mean?
- Indeptedness and programs for structural adaptation
- Colombus and 500 years “discovering” America.
- Ecology and ways of life – for example:
- Rainforest and its threat
- Fast Food, meat consumption, fodder, global food situation
- World population
- Protection of endangered species, animal welfare.
- Foreigners in our society – for example:
- Foreigners and violence
- Racism and hatred towards foreigners
- Refugees and reasons for fleeing
- Asylum policy and situation of asylum-seekers in Germany
Further topics can be talked about as well. If you are interested in cooperation, get in touch with us a couple of weeks before the forthcoming project-day, lesson etc. We can then choose suitable methods and contents according to the student group.
Contact person: Juliane Markov
You can reach us from Monday till Friday at +49 341 3010143.